Pickles have been a favorite snack of mine ever since I was a kid. Only, the highly processed pickles I would eat as a kid are just not the same as making your own.
Sea salt has so many incredible healing properties…
- Normalize blood pressure and volume
- Increases circulation
- Helps to prevent water retention and aids the body in absorbing water properly
- Increase progesterone levels (the anti-aging hormone) by counteracting aldosterone
- Helps to regulate calcium in the body
- Can lower adrenaline levels
You actually need sodium in order for your body to function at it’s best. Pickles made with salt are a great way to get your daily salt intake.
Here’s a simple pickle recipe you can try at home:
- 1 quart of water
- 4 TBSP of sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 lb of cucumbers or as many as you can fit in your jar
- 4-5 peeled garlic cloves
- 2-3 TBSP pickling spice
- In a medium pot combine water and salt. Bring to a boil and heat until the salt is fully dissolved. Set aside and let brine fully cool before using.
- Wash wide mouth jar and let it dry
- Wash cucumbers well and trim the ends. Pack them into the clean quart jar with the garlic cloves and pickling spice. Pour the cooled brine over the cucumbers. Tap the jar gently on your counter to settle the cucumbers and to remove any air bubbles.
- Put a top on the jar and store it in a corner that is cool and out of direct sunlight.
- Check on the pickles in a week. If pickles are crunchy and satisfying to your taste place in fridge. If not, leave out for another couple of days to a week until they are the right texture and taste.